[Ifeffit] Athena 0.8.008 and Artemis 0.5.004

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri Dec 13 15:04:03 CST 2002

Hi Folks,

I just uploaded new source code tarballs and new windows executables
for the two programs to my web site.

This release is mostly about bug fixes.  You can read about those in
the change logs.

Athena has two big new features.
  1. A dialog for fitting Gaussians/Lorentzians and an arctangent to
     near-edge peaks.  See the "Analysis" menu.  It is currently
     undocumented, but you should be able to figure it out by poking
     at the buttons.  Here's a screenshot:
       http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/images/athena/peakfit.png
  2. An option at the bottom of the "Edit" menu for generating reports
     about the background removal and FT parameters for all the data
     groups.  The options for these reports are plain text, Excel
     spreadsheet files, or comma-separated-value (csv) spreadsheets.

The other new thing, which is relevant to Unix and Mac OSX users is a
change to the build scripts.  I have modified the Makefile.PL to
incorporate a suggestion Matt had for avoiding the problems that
several people reported this week regarding difficulties finding the
PGPLOT library during the build of the ifeffit wrapper.  The new build
script works for me.  I trust you will let me know if you have any
problems.

Special thanks this time to Adam Webb and Paul Fons who both found
ways to crash Athena this week.  Happily, they will both now have to
start searching for new ways.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source