[Ifeffit] Problems running athena/tkatoms

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Apr 2 11:11:11 CST 2002

Hi folks,

Last week, Norbert pointed out several manifestations of what appear
to have been the same problem related to installing ifeffit's perl
wrapper onto a linux system.  Because of the difficulty installing the
perl wrapper, my perl applications Athena and Atoms would not work.

Among the many symptoms Norbert pointed out were such immediately
intuitive (not!) messages as:

 ** Can't load
    '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so'

 ** /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so:
    undefined
    symbol: G77_getenv_0 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux/DynaLoader.pm line
    200.

and

 ** Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so' for module Ifeffit:
    /usr/lib/libf2c.so.0: undefined symbol: MAIN__ at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200.

After some time, I finally determined that the problems he was
experiencing were due to problems in the installation scripts that
Matt and I had written for ifeffit + all the perl stuff.

Last week I sent what I think was a solution to Matt and Norbert for
testing.  Norbert has informed me that he was able to install all of
ifeffit and the perl wrapper and applications on his linux machine.
Yay!  This fix certainly applies to linux users and probably will
benefit other unix-like systems, including SGI and OSX.

Matt will (I presume) be including this fix in the next release of
ifeffit.  Having solved that problem, we will be free to move on to
the next problem!!!

If any of you have run into a problem that seems similar to Norbert's
and would rather not wait for the next release of ifeffit, feel free
to contact me privately.  (But be warned that I will be at the
synchrotron for the next several days, and so may not respond promptly
to my mail.)

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Code 6134          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source